It must be linked to a Roku account to activate your Roku streaming player or Roku TV.
Your Roku account stores which Roku streaming devices you own and which channels and preferences and settings you have installed. In order to manage your account and receive important account notifications, it is important to have a valid email address associated with your Roku account. Similarly, you should choose a strong, secure password.
Activating your Roku device
- Follow the Roku device’s Quick Start Guide.
- To connect your Roku player to the internet, complete the on-screen instructions. Once connected, your Roku device device may download new roku software updates.
- Your Roku device will then display a link code; e.g. “XD12 G”.
- Note this link code and go to your computer or mobile device’s website roku.com/link.When entering roku.com/link into your web browser, type it correctly.
- Enter the link code on the website and click submit.
- You must complete ALL of the steps on the website before going back to your Roku device otherwise your Roku device will not be activated.
- Follow the Roku account creation instructions on the website or login to an existing Roku account.
- You will be asked to provide a payment method when you create a new Roku account. The payment method allows you to buy subscriptions to popular channels, rent or buy movies and television shows, and make other Roku Channel Store purchases. Using a payment method will not result in your account being billed. You will only be billed after you have completed the additional steps required to make a purchase, such as signing up for a subscription, renting or purchasing a movie or TV show, or installing a Roku Channel Store channel.
- Once the activation process is complete, the Roku system is ready to use.
Adding channels from your Roku device
Just as your smartphone accesses an “app store” to add new applications, to add new channels, your Roku streaming player accesses the Roku Channel Store. Many channels require one-time or paid subscription, while many others are available. Browse directly from your Roku device through the Roku Channel Store.
- On your Roku remote, click the home button.
- To open the Channel Store, scroll up or down and pick Streaming Channels
A list of featured, new and popular categories to explore is at the top of the Channel Store. In Search Channels, you can insert a keyword to find choices based on a channel’s name. Below that you have to browse a variety of genres.
Tip: Click the reverse scan button or the forward scan button on your Roku remote to jump up or down one page at a time while you browse lists or channel grids.
- To open the list, click the OK button OK on your remote to learn more about a channel. You will preview screenshots of the channel in addition to a synopsis and score.
- If the channel is “free,” you can select Add Channel on your Roku device to install the channel.
- If the channel is “paying,” you can choose Buy $X.XX to buy and install the channel
- You have a PIN for your Roku account, and you’ll need to enter it. Learn how to create a PIN for your Roku account if you don’t have a PIN and want to defend against unauthorized purchases.
- If your payment data is out – of-date, your Roku account will need to update it.
If you install a channel on your Roku device, it will be moved on the main screen to the channel list under Home. Scroll down, added to the bottom of the channel list. The channel may be moved higher in the list if you prefer.
Installing themes and screensavers
If you are downloading a Theme or Screensaver, the Settings > Themes and Settings > Screensaver on your Roku system will be added to the list of themes or screensavers. In most instances, on the main screen, it will not be added to the channel list under Home.
The Best Private Roku Channels, and How to Install Them
As if the Roku did not already have enough channels, you will not find a decent selection of “private” channels in the channel store. Check out some of the best private channels.
Technically, but not publicly displayed, private channels and apps are part of the Roku channel store. A channel can be private for a number of reasons: maybe it has adult content, maybe it’s still in beta, or maybe it’s just an unofficial third-party channel for a service without any official app. You won’t find them when you browse the channel store with your remote, and to install them you’ll need a secret code or link.
Hundreds of private channels are out there, but in a few places you can find most of the best channels. For example, you can access the Web site of The Nowhere Man:
- Bloomberg News Live
- John Green’s Crash Course
- NBC Nightly News and CBS News archives
- NASA TV and Hubblecast HD
- Khan Academy learning videos
- Government-focused channels like C-SPAN, The Pentagon Channel, and White House Press Briefings
- International news from Al Jazeera (English, American, and Arabic), BBC, and CNN International
- TED Talks
- Adult Swim shows
- Universal Sports Network
- Live local news for most major areas
When you download this cool channel called Nowhere TV (code: H9DWC), you can watch all those in one place. The platform works with a bit of everything as a network hub of sorts. There are even some sub-channels of home & garden, cooking, and spirituality. Some of the content is only audio podcasts, but plenty of video is available.
Keep in mind that these channels are either in beta form or created by third parties, so you may have to deal with bugs every once in a while— a small price to pay for free channels. Through pages such as Roku-Channels.com, RokuGuide.com, StreamFree.tv, and RokuChannels.tv you can find more private channels.
Once you have chosen some channels you want to add, it’s quick and easy to install them. There are two ways of doing this:
- Go to the website of Roku.com/link, log in to your account you used when you set up it, and go to the My Account page.
- then press Manage Account to add a network. Type the code of the channel when there and press Add Channel.
Alternatively, you can find a link that takes you to the Add Channel site automatically and enters the code for you. It will have the same URL as the Add Channel site, but it will start with the key. As long as the code is right, either way works just fine.
Once the channel or app is installed, you will need to update your Roku so that it actually appears. These will normally appear in 24 hours, but by going to Settings > System > System Update, you can speed up the process. Your new channels will appear on the home screen in a couple of moments. Know of any interesting private channels that are not adults? In the comments below, please tell us.
Now you are able to use your Roku streaming stick, so you can purchase subscriptions to your favorite channels, buy or rent movies and TV shows, etc. If Roku stick does not work after the setup process has been completed, you will receive assistance from Roku technical support.
Each Roku process is perfectly streamlined to make the time as short as possible between installing the device to stream videos. But what if you see the Roku box stopped working all of a sudden? How do you determine which problem in the system has arisen, let alone repair it.
While talking about Roku, you should never forget that this device is still an electronic device that makes up a host of electrical and electronic components. Problems are therefore unavoidable in Roku, although the event will not be as regular as other phones, and the duration will not be as long as that. However, for several reasons, conspicuous efforts are needed to fix the annoying problems that arrive in Roku.